A large plate of meatballs and pasta is probably the last thing you expect on a gluten free menu. Good, because I want you to know it’s entirely possible to enjoy this goodness. In fact, I would venture to say that I enjoyed the oatmeal in these more than my traditional bread crumbs. My husband loved them as well. You know you’re dealing with a good recipe when someone who doesn’t need to eat gluten free, really enjoys it. Slow Cooker Gluten Free Turkey Meatballs are a healthier version of a family favorite. For me, those are my most favorite meals.
Gluten Free Pasta Choices
Gluten free pasta choices are a plenty. Brown rice, quinoa, corn and rice are just a few of the replacement flours you’ll find. They are all tasty and I find them to be quite comparable to regular pasta. The one I used here is a corn and rice flour blend. This blend is the closest you’ll come to traditional white pasta. The brown rice and quinoa blends are closer to the flavors you’d find in whole wheat pasta.
I really hope you make these meatballs. Let me know if you do in the comments below!
PIN FOR LATER!
Slow Cooker Gluten Free Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Turkey I recommend 93% Lean. I don't recommend the 99% fat free.
- 1/3 cup Quick Cooking Oats If you are Celiac use certified gluten free.
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tsp. dried italian seasoning I recommend McCormicks
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Optional
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups Pasta Sauce I like Rao's Brand. Use your favorite and watch for added sugars.
- 1 lb. Gluten Free Penne There are lots of options for gluten free pasta. The one I use is a corn and rice blend and it's very close to regular pasta.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground turkey, oats, egg, Parmesan Cheese, Dried Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and milk. Roll into 1.5 inch balls.
- In a skillet heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil. If you have a slow cooker or an Instant Pot where you can saute first, you can brown the meatballs right there. If not, use a skillet. Brown the outside of the meatballs. They do not need to be cooked through.
- When all the meatballs are browned, transfer them a slow cooker. Pour over your favorite pasta sauce. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- I have an Instant Pot and I use the saute/slow cook function for this recipe. I have not pressure cooked this recipe yet, but when I do, I'll make an update.