Sometimes I look forward to the appetizers more than the main course. Give me a side salad and an order of bread sticks and I am happy girl. I use the self rising flour and Greek Yogurt Pizza dough in my BBQ Chicken Pizza. I thought why not bread sticks? So, on one of our pizza nights I decided to make these Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks. I am so happy I did!
You guys these are too easy and my husband went crazy for them. They are more than a “well this is better but I’d rather have the original” healthy swap. I will be making these when I want bread sticks from now on and I think you will too!
I like twisting them so they look fancy. You don’t have to take this step, but I think they really look bread-sticky like that. 😉 I also like to serve them with some marinara sauce for dipping. Note that in the recipe I use self rising flour, but I also give you the formula to make your own if you don’t have it in your kitchen.
I truly think you will love these Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks. If you make them, tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen. I love seeing your creations. Leave a comment below as well and let me know how it went!
Pin for Later!
Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks
- 1 cup Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Self rising flour To make your own use 1 cup of regular flour and add 1.5 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- 2 tbsp. Salted Butter melted
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this recipe. You can also use a bowl and mix the dough with a rubber spatula. I use my stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the Greek Yogurt and self rising flour to the bowl. Mix until well combined and a dough forms. At first it will look shaggy and weird. Just keep mixing.
- When the dough comes together turn it out onto a floured counter. Make sure your hands and the counter are sprinkled with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle which is about 10 x 12 inches. The dough will be a 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal strips. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, twist the strips and lay them down. You'll just twist the dough holding it on each end then lay it down.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove top. Add the olive oil, garlic and herbs. Stir together.
- Brush the sticks with the garlic butter mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and bake for 25-27 minutes. Turn the bread sticks over 1/2 way through cooking.
- Allow the bread sticks to cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Serve with Marinara for dipping.