Sometimes I look forward to the appetizers more than the main course. Give me a side salad and an order of bread sticks and I am happy girl. I use the self rising flour and Greek Yogurt Pizza dough in my BBQ Chicken Pizza. I thought why not bread sticks? So, on one of our pizza nights I decided to make these Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks. I am so happy I did!
You guys these are too easy and my husband went crazy for them. They are more than a “well this is better but I’d rather have the original” healthy swap. I will be making these when I want bread sticks from now on and I think you will too!
I like twisting them so they look fancy. You don’t have to take this step, but I think they really look bread-sticky like that. 😉 I also like to serve them with some marinara sauce for dipping. Note that in the recipe I use self rising flour, but I also give you the formula to make your own if you don’t have it in your kitchen.
I truly think you will love these Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks. If you make them, tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen. I love seeing your creations. Leave a comment below as well and let me know how it went!
Pin for Later!
Garlic Herb and Cheese Bread Sticks
- 1 cup Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Self rising flour To make your own use 1 cup of regular flour and add 1.5 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- 2 tbsp. Salted Butter melted
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this recipe. You can also use a bowl and mix the dough with a rubber spatula. I use my stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the Greek Yogurt and self rising flour to the bowl. Mix until well combined and a dough forms. At first it will look shaggy and weird. Just keep mixing.
- When the dough comes together turn it out onto a floured counter. Make sure your hands and the counter are sprinkled with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle which is about 10 x 12 inches. The dough will be a 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal strips. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, twist the strips and lay them down. You'll just twist the dough holding it on each end then lay it down.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove top. Add the olive oil, garlic and herbs. Stir together.
- Brush the sticks with the garlic butter mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and bake for 25-27 minutes. Turn the bread sticks over 1/2 way through cooking.
- Allow the bread sticks to cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Serve with Marinara for dipping.
Wednesday 30th of June 2021
This recipe looks delicious! Just wanted to make sure that you don't need to let the dough rise at all?
Thursday 8th of July 2021
I am so happy you enjoyed it Sue! Nope you do not need to allow a rise at all. The baking powder in the self rising flour is the levener here.