I think I’ve figured out a use for cauliflower rice and it isn’t as rice! It’s as meat. I know you’re like, “wait.. what? Meat?” Hear me out my friends and prepare to be amazed by this Easy Vegan Taco Meat option. It’s very meaty for not being meat at all. You get your veggies and a dose of healthy fats from the nuts. This recipe was adapted from another recipe I love by Pinch of Yum for Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat. That recipe uses fresh cauliflower and chipotles in adobo , which aren’t my favorite. The base idea is a great one though, and I’ve simplified it for you here!
How to Make Vegan Taco Meat
If you really think about it, meat doesn’t necessarily have a “taste” until you add seasonings to it. The main appeal is the texture. By creating a meaty texture using the cauliflower rice and ground nuts, you really don’t miss the meat here. You could use fresh cauliflower, but I find a bag of frozen works perfectly and eliminates the need to rice it yourself. I would recommend using walnuts and pecans. I don’t think almonds or other nuts would work well texture wise. Pecans and walnuts are also more neutral in taste.
I hope you’ll open your mind to this delicious plant based option. Tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen if you make this Easy Vegan Taco Meat!
Pin for later!
Easy Vegan Taco Meat
- 3 cups Frozen Riced Cauliflower Can use fresh if you desire, frozen is just easier.
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Pecans
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Steam or boil the cauliflower rice until tender. Drain well.
- Pulse the nuts in food processor until they resemble course meal.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lay the cauliflower, nuts and spices on a baking sheet. Toss it all together.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss, and bake 10 minutes more or until things are nice and crisp, but not burnt.
- Use as a base for tacos, chili or as replacement for meat on nachos.