5 Ingredient Energy Bites are a delicious way to satisfy your sweet tooth and give you that little boost you need. You can find a million recipes for these online, but many will include crazy protein powders or far off ingredients. These energy balls are kid friendly and adult approved. They are also budget approved!
How to Make a Good Energy Bite
Oats are a staple for energy bites. If you are gluten free of course you can use gluten free oats. I like to use the quick cooking oats in energy balls. These are the ones labeled as “1 minute.” If you use old fashioned rolled oats you’ll need to use the food processor because they need to be broken down a bit.
The next essential is nut butter. Peanut butter is perfect with these, but you could sub in almond butter or sunflower butter. Liquid sweeteners are best for energy balls. The extra liquid helps things stick together and get that cookie dough like texture.
The final tip I have is to use the food processor if you can. It is the easiest and most effective way to make a good energy bite.
Substitutes for 5 Ingredient Energy Bites
If peanut butter isn’t your thing you can sub in:
Almond butter, sunflower butter or cashew butter. Truly whatever butter you enjoy.
Honey is my favorite liquid sweetener, but you could also use:
Maple Syrup or agave.
Instead of chocolate chips, you could add:
Peanut butter chips, cacao nibs, white chocolate chips or just omit them.
Hopefully I’ve covered enough subs here for you to make these to your liking, but use this recipe as a base and go from there. Recipes like this are so versatile so once you have the method, you’re good!
I love to make these Energy Bites in the food processor. The Cuisinart food processor is my absolutely favorite. The food processor makes these easy and it really gets you that “cookie dough” like texture.
If you make these 5 Ingredient Energy Bites please tag me on Instagram @FreshFitKitchen.
Oh.. and make sure you PIN for LATER!
5 Ingredient Energy Bites
- 1/4 cup honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/8 cup Chia Seeds or hemp seeds or flax seeds
- 1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 1/3 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
Food Processor Instructions
- Add the oats, honey, peanut butter and chia seeds to the food processor. Quickly pulse the ingredients together until they are well incorporated and have a cookie dough like texture.
- If you are using them, add in the mini chocolate chips. Give 1-2 pulses to incorporate.
- Moisten your hands with water- scoop out cookie dough in 1.5 tbsp. portions and roll into balls. Because the mixture is sticky, you may need to moisten your hands a few times. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- The energy bites need to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to eating.
Mixing Bowl Instructions
- In a large bowl mix the peanut honey (or maple syrup), chia seeds (hemp or flax seed can also be used), and peanut butter (or nut butter of choice) together.
- Add the oats and mini chocolate chips and fold together until it all sticks together. The mixture should be thick and sticky. You may need to use your hands to fully mix it together.
- Moisten your hands and take 1.5 tbsp. portions and roll into balls. You'll get 11-12 balls. Place them on a parchment lined sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.