Just as the title says, this is Not Your Mama’s Green Bean Casserole. There is no canned cream of mushroom soup. There is however an easy and flavorful sauce made with fresh mushrooms, nonfat Greek Yogurt and Parmesan cheese.
You’ll want to use this base in all of your casserole like recipes from here on out. Don’t worry. I did leave one thing in tact, and that’s the french fried onions. Yep, you can use those delicious things in the package. They are delicious too. Don’t let anyone tell you they aren’t.
Not Your Mama’s Green Bean Casserole- Green Bean Casserole with no Cream Soup
The most intimidating part of this recipe is the cream sauce. I am walking you through it. I promise it’s easy. The best way to avoid lumps in your sauce is to ensure you warm the milk. You don’t want to add cold liquids to a hot pan.
It makes everything seize up and that’s how you end up with lumpy gravies and sauces. The other mistake is the wrong fat to flour ratio. Always make it 1:1 and always cook the flour out for 30 seconds to a minute before adding liquids.
This may be Not Your Mama’s Green Bean Casserole, but it’s not so different you’ll miss the original. The sauce has more flavor and you can feel better about it knowing there’s no canned soup with a ton of preservatives. If you haven’t always been a fan of green bean casserole, maybe it’s that canned soup. Try this one. You might be sold.
I could have crisped some shallots or something instead of using the store bought french fried onions. Honestly, I just feel their flavor is unique and while this is Not Your Mama’s Green Bean Casserole, I wanted it to at least remind you of her 😉
If you make this tag me on Instagram @FreshFitKitchen. I’d love to hear how it turned out and make sure you PIN IT!
Not Your Mama's Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cups Fresh Cut Green Beans
- 16 ounces Mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 large Garlic Cloves minced
- 1.5 cups 2% milk warmed
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 3 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions store bought, example would be French's brand
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Wash and cut the fresh green beans. Boil them for 5 minutes, strain and set aside.
- Pour 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet and over medium high heat and saute the mushrooms. Allow them to cook until they begin to get golden then add in the chopped onion and garlic. Cook another 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the 3 tbsp. of butter to the pan. When it's almost melted, stir in the flour. Cook the flour and butter mixture for 30 seconds.
- Gradually pour in the warmed milk as you stir. The mixture will thicken. If it becomes too thick add more milk . The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the Parmesan cheese, Greek Yogurt, salt and pepper to taste. Toss in the green beans and turn them in the sauce.
- Top the mixture with the fried onions and panko bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
Make it Gluten Free: I noticed they do sell french fried onions in the store gluten free. You could omit the bread crumbs or use a gluten free version.