If you’re following me on Instagram you’ll notice on my stories that I love my Instant Pot. I got it several months ago and I’ve only recently started experimenting with the pressure cook functions. These 3 Ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are one of my most amazing discoveries. I am so excited to share this recipe with you!
3 Ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
See how shredded that chicken is? It’s like I cooked it all day, but it really only cooked for about 5 minutes. There are some things you need to keep in mind with pressure cooking. It typically takes about 1/3 of the time that cooking on the stove top takes.
Although you set the timer on the Instant Pot for say 5 minutes; there is a period of time where it’s heating that you need to account for. The cooking time starts once the pressure has built up. It’s just a few extra minutes, but worth noting.
You also want to consider whether you’ll be naturally releasing pressure or releasing all of it immediately. If you are releasing it all at once, you won’t get the benefits of that extra cook time while the pressure is releasing. If you choose a natural release, you need allow for that extra time.
The reason I only pressure cook this chicken for 5 minutes, is because I natural release the pressure for another 5 and that’s essentially another 5 minutes of cooking time. It’s slow and low cooking, but it has to be considered.
What’s not to love about the Instant Pot? Pretty much nothing.
This is the model Instant Pot I have. This one is 6 quarts and I’ve found it has plenty of functions for everyday cooking. Sure there are fancier models, but I haven’t found a need to upgrade yet. The functions I use the most are saute, slow cook and manual. I love the option to brown my roast before I slow cook or pressure cook it. The flavor is incredible.
Toppings for Tacos
Back to these amazing tacos. The salsa in this recipe has so much flavor. Between the salsa and taco seasoning you get this super flavorful broth without a laundry list of ingredients. I like to serve these 3 Ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with my taco topping favorites: Sour cream (or plain Greek Yogurt), cheese and lettuce. Extra salsa of course.
I really hope you make these tacos. If you do, tag me on Instagram @FreshFitKitchen. I love seeing you make my recipes!
Pin for Later!
PLEASE NOTE: Since taco shells and toppings vary, the nutrition info is for the chicken only. You’ll add on whatever shell and toppings you use. This info covers you for 2-3 tacos. 4.5 ounces of chicken total.
3 Ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning I like Trader Joe's Chili Lime Seasoning.
- 1 cup Salsa Choose a thin picante style salsa.
- 3 medium Chicken Breasts about 6 ounces each
- SLOW COOKERS: Season your chicken breast on both sides with the taco seasoning. Dump the salsa on top. Cook on low for 3-4 hours until shreddable.
- INSTANT POT: Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Put a little avocado oil in the bottom and let it heat up. Season your chicken on both sides with the taco seasoning. Brown on each side. Do not cook through. This will take 1-2 minutes.
- Dump in the 1 cup of salsa and put the lid on. Turn the Instant Pot to Manual or High Pressure setting (note these are the same depending on your model). Set the time for 5 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to natural release for 5-7 minutes. Release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Shred the chicken with two forks and allow it to sit in the cooking liquid.
- You can turn the Instant Pot to the Keep Warm Function and serve when you're ready. I like to serve this on grilled corn tortillas with lettuce, cheese and some sour cream or Greek Yogurt.
Tuesday 26th of February 2019
I made this tonight and it was fantastic. I even committed it to my handwritten cookbook that is reserved for “keepers”, recipes I will make over and over. Thanks for sharing this!
Monday 4th of March 2019
That is so awesome to hear Glenda! I am so glad you stopped by and left a review!
Wednesday 2nd of January 2019
Hi!! I’m making about 13 lbs of this chicken for my daughter birthday party on Saturday, am I able to double or triple this recipe in the 8 qt instant pot? Do I need to add time?
Thursday 3rd of January 2019
Hi! You can certainly do that. 13 lbs of chicken seems a lot even in an 8 quart so you may need to do 2 batches. The thing is the increased chicken will increase the cooking time. The more food you pile in- the longer it will take as it's stacked on top of one another. If you're doing 2 batches- I'd suggest starting with 10 minutes and do a 5-10 minute natural release per batch. Keep in mind I've never done this much at once with this particular recipe so I am saying this is where I'd start. The chicken should be very shreddable. If it's still kinda tough- give it another 2-3 minutes. I think 10 minutes will be pretty close though. thanks for stopping by and let me know how it goes!