This recipe is the champion of spaghetti squash recipes. Is it just that good? Well, yes, I think it’s very good. The real reason it’s the champion of spaghetti squash recipes is that it’s the first time my husband has been willing to eat it. Success! Victory is mine! Trust when I say that these Turkey Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Boats are a crowd pleaser. The slow cooked sauce is full of flavor and the cheesy topping feels indulgent although this is a really healthy and gluten free dish.
When it comes to sauces, I always recommend allowing them to simmer as long as you can. Low and slow is key for a good bolognese sauce. If you make the recipe as written, you’ll have some sauce left for more squash if you’re feeding a crowd or a recipe later in the week. The squash take a little bit to bake, so this is perfect for sauce simmering time. When they come out of the oven you have that ooey gooey cheesy goodness. Never mind the fact that this is veggie packed and gluten free, it’s just good food! It’s comfort food, and who doesn’t love that?
I really hope you make these Turkey Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Boats for your family. Recipes like this are a reminder that when you choose healthy, you can also really enjoy what you’re eating.
Turkey Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 whole Spaghetti Squash
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut the very ends off off of the spaghetti squash. Cut the Squash down the middle. Place the squash cut side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Then Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 375 degrees for one hour.
- While the squash are baking, brown the turkey in a large pot.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and Italian seasoning to the turkey once browned. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer while the squash are baking.
- When the squash are finished, take a fork and scrape the inside so the strands of spaghetti squash loosen.
- Add 3/4 cup of sauce to each sauce (save the rest for another use if you're only making 2 boats). Top with cheese.
- Bake the squash for 25 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly.