When I need to feed a crowd, my slow cooker comes to the rescue. The biggest hurdle with feeding large numbers of people is keeping the food hot and getting everything ready at the same time. Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches with Pineapple Slaw get better with time. The slaw comes together in the fridge as it marinates with the dressing. The chicken has no loss of quality while it sits on warm in your slow cooker or Instant Pot (Electric Pressure Cooker).
Although this sandwich looks decadent, the chicken is a great meal prep for the week. Serve it over salad or with nothing more than the slaw. The brioche buns I serve these on, are a bit of an indulgence, but when you use lean chicken breast, you can add a little something extra.
We don’t like gloppy slaw around here , so the light dressing with this one is perfect. The pineapple adds the perfect touch of sweet to the whole thing. If you like a thicker slaw dressing, feel free to double the dressing part of this recipe.
Short Cuts are Okay
Sure I could make my own barbecue sauce, but with so many yummy ones on the market, why? I really believe in taking help from the store where it counts the most. These Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches with Pineapple Slaw come together so easily because of some store bought sauce and using the slaw mix. You can even put these together quickly by using your electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Instructions below.
Leave Your Comments- I want to know how it went.
Leave your comments below about how this recipe went for you or what changes you made. It helps me and it helps other readers. Tag your pictures of this one Instagram with @Freshfitkitchen so I can see when you make this.
Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches with Pineapple Slaw
- 4-5 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce I use Sweet Baby Ray's Original.
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 14 ounces Cole Slaw Cabbage Mix
- 1/4 cup Avocado Mayo Olive Oil Mayo works too
- 14.5 ounces Canned Pineapple Tidbits drain and reserve 2 tbsp. of the juice Make sure it's pineapple in juice, not heavy syrup.
- 1 tbsp. Applie Cider Vinegar This is for the coleslaw dressing.
- 2 tbsp. honey
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: Mix together barbecue sauce, Dijon and apple cider vinegar. Lay 4-5 large chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken shreds easily. Shred the chicken. Put it back into the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
- FOR THE SLAW: Mix together the avocado mayo, honey and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Drain the pineapple and reserve 2 tbsp. of juice. Add the juice to the avocado mayo mixture. This is the coleslaw dressing.
- In a large bowl pour in the coleslaw cabbage mix. Pour the dressing over top and add in 1/2 cup of the pineapple tidbits. Store the left over pineapple for another use.
- Toss everything together and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Serve the chicken on a bun (brioche is best) with the slaw piled high and extra barbecue sauce if desired.
- INSTANT POT/ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER: Spray the Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken. Pour in the sauce mixture. Cook on Manual or High Pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the cooker to natural release for 10 minutes. Shred the chicken and then put on warm setting until ready to serve.