Fish can be intimidating for inexperienced cooks, but I promise you that it’s one of the easiest things you can start with. Salmon in particular is forgiving due to its high fat content. It’s hard to dry out salmon. This Chili Lime Blackened Salmon with Pico De Gallo has a delicious fresh mex flavor profile. If you like a little zip in flavor, you’re going to want to make this over and over.
How to Pan Sear Salmon
To properly pan sear the salmon for this Chili Lime Blackened Salmon with Pico De Gallo simply follow these instructions.
1. Use a cast iron pan if possible. It gives the best sear hands down. If you can’t do cast iron then go for your heaviest most durable pan. This is not the place for non-stick flimsy cook ware.
2. Use only the 2 tbsp. of oil called for. It may seem like more oil equals more sear. This is not the case. When you use too much oil you actually end up steaming things instead of browning them.
3. Be sure you do not add the fish until the pan is super hot and the oil is shimmering, but not smoking. You’ll notice the oil thins and shimmers as it gets hot. When it looks like that, it’s time to add your fish. Adding it sooner will over cook the fish before it’s done on the outside.
And that’s really it! Follow these easy instructions and your food will be elevated in texture and flavor. Fish really is one of the easiest things you can cook.
Just look at the crisp on that salmon! I use Lodge Cast Iron. They are very affordable and you can order them on Amazon!
At around $15 they are so affordable and they will change your cooking game.
The Pico De Gallo in this is a recipe that’s already on the blog. You could also use store bought if you don’t want to make your own.
I really hope you make this Chili Lime Blackened Salmon with Pico De Gallo. It’s an easy salmon recipe and an easy weeknight meal idea your entire family will love. I recommend serving it over rice and along with your favorite veggies.
PIN IT FOR LATER and let me know how the recipe worked for you in the comments or tag me in a photo on Instagram @freshfitkitchen!
Chili Lime Blackened Salmon with Pico De Gallo
Chili Lime Blackened Salmon with Pico De Gallo is a fresh and zesty salmon dish your entire family will love. Don't shy away from cooking fish. It's really not complicated and it's so delicious.
For Chili Lime Blackening Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt It's important to use Kosher salt here. Fine salt will be too salty.
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Lime Zest
- 4 Salmon Filets About 4 ounces each. Skin Removed.
- 2 tbsp. Avocado Oil
Mix together the Chili Lime Seasoning Ingredients. Set Aside.
Divide salmon into 4- 4 ounce portions. Make sure skin is removed.
Cover all sides of the salmon with the rub.
Heat a cast iron (or other heavy bottom skillet) over medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp. of avocado oil.
When the oil is shimmering and hot add in the salmon filets. Cook 3 minutes per side. Make sure to brown the salmon on all sides. The salmon flakes easily when it's cooked through.
Move the salmon off to a plate and cover with pico de gallo (see recipe in notes link). Enjoy!
I used this recipe for Pico De Gallo from my site. You could also buy a pico de gallo at the grocery store if you want to make this easier.