These little hot ham and cheese baked sandwiches on sweet Hawaiian rolls have really taken over. I feel like they’ve been rediscovered as I can remember eating them at baby showers and wedding showers years ago. Who ever thought of this delicious dijon mustard, poppy seeds Worcestershire sauce and butter mixture on the tops of the rolls is a genius. My Healthier Hot Ham and Cheese Baked Sliders have just a bit less of the butter mixture, but all the savory butter sauce flavor.
Healthier Hot Ham and Cheese Baked Sliders Substitutions
These sliders are a great use for leftover ham. You could also buy honey ham or black forest ham. Swiss cheese is customary, but mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and even pepper jack cheese could work.
I know someone will ask if they can use yellow mustard or honey mustard and honestly I have not tried, but if you want to, I can’t see where it would be bad. I have considered using spicy brown mustard or stone ground mustard because they are my favorites. I love mustard.
I like to get my ham shaved nice and thin so you have layers of ham. This is up to your preference. If I had leftover ham, I’d probably shred or slice it thin.
The classic rolls for this are Hawaiian sweet rolls, but any slider bun will do. I have even thought that some slider buns with onion topping would work well.
Can you use other meats on baked sliders?
This recipe is for the classic ham, but yes roast beef, turkey and even pastrami would be good. Use your imagination and apply this method. Use different kinds of cheese and meats to create your favorite! That’s the best part of a recipe like this! It’s versatile! These are the perfect meal for a busy week night, holidays or game days.
Ham and Cheese baked Sandwiches Tips
This recipe is an easy recipe and that makes it a great recipe! You don’t need to be a gourmet cook to pull this one off. You just need to follow a few simple tips.
Make sure you unpack the entire package of rolls, but keep them together. You’ll don’t want to tear them apart. Use a large serrated knife to cut them in half. you will then layer on cheese, layers of ham and more cheese. Place the tops on and then prepare the butter mixture.
Get a small bowl and mix together your melted butter, dijon mustard, poppy seeds, dried onion and Worcestershire sauce. Use a pastry brush to brush the mixture on the tops of the rolls. Cover with foil and bake! That’s it! It’s such an easy recipe and the first time I made these they were a big hit!
If you have leftovers, simply put them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days. They are best reheated in the oven because that will crisp them back up.
The two most important things for this recipe are :
When you use these affiliate links to purchase, you help support the blog! Thank you for your support!
I hope these easy ham sandwiches become a simple recipe you can reach for again and again. Whether it’s a last minute get together or an easy weeknight main course, I think you’ll find yourself reaching for these.
What to serve with ham and cheese sliders
Green beans, side salad, or your favorite scalloped potatoes are a fine choice. These are great for that buffet situation at the holidays because there is almost nothing they will not go with! They are still delicious when served at room temperature.
Leave a Review and Star Rating
Your reviews and star ratings really help people find my recipes! Comments really help to those preparing to make the recipe, Thank you for visiting. If you feel inclined, please Pin this recipe to your Pinterest board or share on social media.
This recipe was updated 10/9/22.
Healthier Hot Ham and Cheese Baked Sliders
- 12 Kings Hawaiian Rolls Left in a slab. Do not cut them individually.
- 1/2 lb Ham I recommend Boar's Head Tavern Ham.
- 6 slices Swiss Cheese Sargento Brand Ultra Thin or thin sliced from deli.
- 1/4 cup light butter Recommend-Land O Lakes Light Butter Spread
- 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp. Dried onion Found on spice aisle usually as dried minced onion.
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Using a serrated knife, cut the rolls in half lengthwise. This will give you the tops hooked together in one piece and the bottoms in one piece .12 Kings Hawaiian Rolls
- Line a 13x9 pan with a sheet of parchment . Lay the bottom half of the rolls down and spread the ham evenly over the rolls . Cover the ham with the cheese slices . Place the top onto the rolls .12 Kings Hawaiian Rolls, 6 slices Swiss Cheese, 1/2 lb Ham
- Melt the butter in the microwave then stir in the mustard , poppy seeds , onion, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Brush the top of the sandwiches with the butter mixture allowing it to soak in . The extra butter will run between the sandwiches .1/4 cup light butter, 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard, 1/2 tbsp. Poppy Seeds, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. Dried onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the sandwiches with foil and allow your oven to preheat . This gives the sandwiches 10 minutes to soak in the butter mixture .
- Bake the sandwiches covered for 20 minutes . Uncover and bake another 5.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and allow to cool a bit before serving .