While your kids will likely love this Instant Pot Cinnamon Apple Sauce; you better make plenty for the entire family. Don’t think of it as just a side dish either. This warm Instant Pot Cinnamon Apple Sauce becomes dessert when you pour it over ice cream. Do I have your attention now? You can also use it in baking to replace some of the butter in the recipe. Homemade apple sauce is not only delicious; it’s versatile.
I make this apple sauce in the Instant Pot, but you can easily make it in the slow cooker and don’t worry I provide the instructions below. Apple sauce is the ultimate comfort food so I hope you’ll gift your family with the pleasure that is homemade apple sauce. You probably won’t want to buy it again.
You could use any combination of apples you want, but I used Honeycrisp and Granny Smith. I think the Granny Smith are non-negotiable as you need the tart flavor to play with the sweetness of the sugar and cinnamon. Honeycrisp, Snap Dragon, Pink Lady or Fuji apples work perfectly with the Granny Smith. So, use what you can find at the store or better yet your local farm market. Like any recipe with produce, this is best with apples when they are in season.
If you decide to bake with this, I highly recommend apple sauce cake. This humble holiday recipe is taken up a notch when you use homemade apple sauce. It’s actually one of my favorite cakes. I love it with a cup of coffee. Look for an apple sauce cake recipe to hit the blog this holiday season, because this stuff has to make a debut in my baked goods.
If you make this Instant Pot Cinnamon Apple Sauce please tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen and leave a review below. I love hearing that you’ve tried my recipes. 😉
Pin for Later!
Instant Pot Cinnamon Apple Sauce
- 2 lbs Honeycrisp Apples Snap Dragon or Pink Lady Apples also work nicely.
- 3 lbs Granny Smith Apples
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS- Core, peel and dice the apples into chunks. These can be 2 inch chunks because they will cook down quickly.
- Toss the apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, water and lemon juice into the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the steam. Pull the lid off and stir.
- SLOW COOKER- Toss everything in and cook on low for 5-6 hours until you can stir and the apples smooth out. You won't need to mash them. They will be so tender that stirring will give you a perfect apple sauce with just a little texture.