*Enchiladas can be a labor of love. This simple Homemade chicken Enchilada recipe uses the help of your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker to make the sauce and the chicken at the same time. I couldn’t believe how well these turned out. I know we’ll be putting them on the regular rotation!
Simple Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
You really cannot go wrong with this easy enchilada recipe. Change it up and use shredded beef or make it vegetarian by subbing in the chicken with beans. The Instant Pot makes this recipe super easy. If you haven’t invested in one I highly recommend it. You can cook fast, slow, or just keep things warm. The Instant Pot really does it all and it’s so affordable . I’ll link mine below for ya 😉
*This is an affilate link. You get the same great price and I get a small commission for telling you about it. It really helps support Freshfitkitchen.com. I appreciate you purchasing via my link. Rest assured it’s no extra cost to you.
If you like this recipe you’ll also like my Layered Roasted Veggie Enchiladas.
Tried these Simple Homemade Chicken Enchiladas? Comment Below! You can also snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen!
PIN IT FOR LATER! Follow me on Pinterest @freshfitkitchen.
Simple Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 lbs. Chicken Breast Filets
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 10 ounces Tomatoes with Green Chilies I use Rotel.
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 12 Whole Wheat Tortillas You can also use corn or a gluten free option.
- 1.5 cups Mexican Blend Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
Instant Pot Instructions
- Spray the inside of the Instant Pot with cooking spray. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and set it to the highest setting. To do this push saute then hit the adjust button to select "more." Salt and pepper the outside of the chicken evenly.
- Sear the chicken breast on both sides. This will take about 2 minutes per side. Move it off to a plate. Add more cooking spray or a light drizzle of oil and add in the onion. Stir until translucent about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back in and pour in the tomatoes. Pour in the water, chili powder, onion powder, cumin and a tsp. of salt. Stir it together and set the the vent to sealing. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 12 minutes. Allow a 5 minute natural release.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks. Now you just have the sauce in there. Turn the Instant Pot back to the high saute setting. Allow the mixture to boil for 10 minutes. This will reduce the liquid down.
- Take an immersion blender blend the sauce until almost smooth. If you don't have one you can use a blender, but be sure to leave head space and vent it as this will be hot liquid.
- Assemble the fajitas- fill with a little bit of cheese (about 1 tbsp) and 1/4 cup of chicken. Roll up the tortilla and place it in a casserole dish. Repeat until they are all done. Pour the sauce over top- and top with the remaining cheese (you should have about 1/2 cup of cheese left give or take). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add in the chicken breast, tomatoes, spices and water. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is shreddable.
- Remove the chicken and shred it. Dump the sauce into a sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by about 1/3. Blend it up using an immersion blender or a regular blender (be careful blending hot liquids and be sure to vent the blender). Assemble the enchiladas and bake as instructed above.