I’m finally remaking one of my favorite recipes. These easy strawberry lemon muffins were one of the first recipes I ever posted. They even got me a mention on the Today Show for their Today Food Club. It’s safe to say I had a total moment hearing my name on national television.
They were good, but I knew we could make them even better. Now this muffin recipe is the kind I think can be a go to in your kitchen. Especially when strawberry season hits and you are overwhelmed with nature’s candy.
How to Make Muffins Light and Fluffy
Just like biscuits are fluffier with buttermilk, these muffins get a tender crumb by way of a mix of Greek yogurt and milk. This mixture mimics buttermilk and gives the muffins a great texture.
Easy Strawberry Lemon Muffins Substitutions
Here are some easy substitutions if you don’t have some of the ingredients called for:
- Milk- almond milk, cashew milk or any plant based milk will work
- Greek Yogurt- Regular plain or vanilla yogurt will work.
- I do not recommend replacing the flour. If you’d like to use a whole grain flour, I ‘d recommend replacing only half of the regular flour with a white whole wheat or wheat pastry flour. Wheat will soak up more liquid, so you may need to add more milk if your batter is overly thick. Do this at your own risk.
- Sugar- first let me say that sugar is sugar. If it’s honey, maple sugar or agave- it really doesn’t matter when it comes to calories. I cannot recommend you replace any of the sugar with a liquid sweetener, but if you like Swerve or Stevia and want to replace it with that, it should be fine. Follow guidelines as not all sugar replacers can be used 1:1 for real sugar.
- Olive Oil- you could use grapeseed oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil in place of it. I just love the texture olive oil gives to baked goods!
How long do I bake large muffins or a loaf?
Per the recipe 12 regular muffins will bake in 20-22 minutes. If you are baking 6 large muffins, you will want to add 5-6 minutes to that and check them before adding a minute or 2 more. You could also make this a loaf. If you bake it in a 9×5 loaf pan it should take 40-50 minutes. My best advice is to check it at 35 minutes then add 5-10 minute intervals until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I really hope you make these and if you do please rate the recipe and comment below!
Easy Strawberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 cup Strawberries Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Non Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Milk Any milk will be fine. I recommend 2%.
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil Can be subbed for grape seed or canola oil
- 1 Lemon zested- this is just the outer skin of the lemon shaved with a zester.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 1.5 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees.In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set Aside.
- In a larger bowl mix together the egg, yogurt, milk, lemon zest, olive oil and sugar.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients as you mix together. Do not over mix or your muffins will be tough. Fold in your strawberries.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe and post was updated on 4/29/22.