Do you love orange chicken, but hate this it always seems like a big calorie bomb? This easy healthy orange chicken recipe that your entire family will gobble up!
What do you use to make easy healthy orange chicken?
Orange chicken sauce is basically all the ingredients in good teriyaki sauce with some orange flavor added. Garlic, ginger, orange zest, soy sauce and sometimes a hint of chili flake.
By combining a good teriyaki sauce and some orange juice, we have everything we need without using a ton of ingredients.
What should I serve with Orange Chicken?
I love to serve this with jasmine rice and broccoli. You could do any assorted stir fry vegetables and if you are trying to keep carbs lower, you can serve it with cauliflower rice.
Are there any substitutes ?
This recipe is pretty straight forward. You can use bottled orange juice if you want, but personally I find that fresh is best. The bottled stuff will definitely have more sugar than you want. My Favorite teriyaki sauce to use for this is Veri Veri Teriyaki.
I can usually find it in my local grocery store, Walmart or it’s linked via Amazon above for your convenience! I find it has the best flavor for this recipe, but use what you can find.
Pin this one for Later!
5 Ingredient Healthier Orange Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup organic teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp. jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- Trim the boneless skinless chicken thighs of all visible fat. Cut in small 1 inch pieces. Place the chicken into a zip top bag with the cornstarch and shake until evenly coated.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce into a bowl. Add the zest, juice, and jalapeno.
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet until it's shimmering. Add the chicken and toss until browned. You may need to do this in two batches depending on how big your pan is. You want all the chicken touching the pan. When the chicken is cooked through, pour the sauce over top. Allow it to cook in the sauce for about a minute until the mixture is thickened.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and rice or quinoa. Add scallions for garnish.
Thursday 19th of January 2017
This recipe is amazing! Only a few ingredients and easy to make. The flavor of this dish is better than takeout - also better on your wallet and waistline too! :)
Friday 20th of January 2017
Thanks Amber! So Happy you loved it!
Tuesday 6th of September 2016
See ya later, takeout! Seriously though, who needs delivery when you have this deliciousness readily available with only 5 ingredients! Magical. This recipe is magical.
Wednesday 7th of September 2016
Thank you so much Karly!!! You're the best! I hope you try it and love it!