I dare not even start a blog post referencing the ugliness in this world right now. All that to say I know you’re probably making due with what you have. That’s why when I created this Anything Goes Taco Casserole Recipe I decided to share it here on the blog.
What’s in Taco Casserole?
Basically anything you want. The night I made this I had 3 random corn tortillas, some vegetables , ground beef and taco seasoning. Most of the time if I’d run to the store and just make tacos. Right now I don’t want to do that so I decided on a taco casserole.
Here are just a few ideas depending on what you have on hand.
Change the Proteins: Use ground chicken, ground turkey, shredded chicken or beef. Have just a little bit of protein to use up? Bulk it up with rice!
Make it vegetarian: Double the beans and veggies and leave the meat out entirely. Other vegetables that would be tasty are more bell peppers, onions (think fajita flavors), rice and sweet potatoes.
No taco seasoning? Make your own, or add some chipotle in adobo for extra spice.
Use flour tortillas or even those left over crumbs from the tortilla chip bag for the tortilla component if you don’t have corn tortillas.
Toppings for Taco Casserole
The toppings are equally versatile. I love spice so I added jalapenos on top of the cheese before baking. You can feel free to use those as garnish instead or leave them out. Hot sauce, extra salsa, queso fresco, Greek Yogurt (in place of sour cream) , Mexican crema, lettuce, radish, tomato, pico de gallo and avocado are just some options.
I really hope you make this recipe. More than a recipe, it’s a method! I think casseroles were so popular back in the day because people didn’t run to the store all time. You used everything up then went again. Perhaps these strange times will make us take on some of those more conservative habits.
I know some days I’m enjoying the creativity of it and others I’m longing for the “good old days.” It’s a mix.
I hope you’re well! If you make this one snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen. I love seeing your creations and PIN IT FOR LATER!
Anything Goes Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef Could sub in shredded chicken, ground chicken or ground turkey.
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 15 ounces Black Beans Drained and rinsed. Kidney or Pinto work well too
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet Make your own if you wish, just use at least 2-3 tbsp.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup Salsa Your choice here- I like restaurant style.
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 5 Corn Tortillas Flour Tortillas will also work.
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese Any melty cheese will work.
- 2 tbsp. Diced Jalapeno Optional, adds spice
- In a skillet brown the ground beef, onion and bell pepper.
- Once browned add in the taco seasoning, beans, water, salsa and frozen corn. Mix together and allow the mixture to thicken and warm through. While that's happening blister your tortillas in dry cast iron pan or over the open flame of a gas stove.
- Cut the tortillas into strips and stir them into the mixture.
- If the pan you're using isn't oven friendly, transfer it to a dish (I used 11x8 size), top with cheese and diced jalapeno and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and browned a bit.
- Serve in a bowl with lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and avocado if desired.