Butternut Squash is one of my favorite fall vegetables. If you’re a Friends fan, then you surely know of the episode where Joey refers to it as “Squtter nut-bosh.” I can’t resist calling it that. The sweetness of the squash is so perfect in this Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili. Sweet and spice. The best combo.
A recipe like this is so versatile. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you can easily omit the ground beef and add another can or 2 of beans. Dress with some avocado and do not forget the tortilla chips for dipping. Chili just screams fall. This chili with butternut squash brings in every warm flavor you expect with the season.
As you read through the recipe below you’ll notice I also give you slow cooker instructions. A gathering is so easy when you make a recipe in the slow cooker. Chili is always slow cooker worthy.
I hope you make this Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili. If you do please tag me on Instagram @Freshfitkitchen. Make sure you pin it too!
Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili
- 1/2 lb. Ground Beef Use 90% lean
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 cups Butternut Squash cubed
- 15 ounces Black Beans Canned black beans; drained
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tbsp. Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 14 ounces Canned Petite Diced Tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven saute the ground beef with the peppers, garlic and onions.
- When the beef is browned add in the butternut squash, chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Now you'll add in the canned diced tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes. If you want this to finish in the slow cooker, then transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.