With the holidays upon us I am focusing on recipes you can make ahead so you can enjoy your guests . This Easy Cinnamon French Toast Casserole does exactly that . With just a handful of ingredients you can have your house smelling like Christmas with little effort !
Easy Cinnamon French Toast Casserole Ingredients
Now I’m not one to say you should try to save calories at the holidays, but some of the recipes I’ve seen for french toast casserole are unnecessarily heavy. I often use the term “split the difference” when it comes to healthy recipes. I used the real deal cinnamon swirl bread here, but made concessions on full fat dairy because quite honestly it doesn’t have that big of an impact.
This healthy french toast bake is made with some eggs and egg whites , 2% milk and fat free half and half. If you have issue with any of these ingredients feel free to sub in what you like. As long as the ratios are the same, this recipe is very forgiving.
Some subs you can make are:
Bread- feel free to use cinnamon raisin, brioche (add more cinnamon to the actual custard if you do this) or any other sweet bread. A gluten free cinnamon bread could also be used.
Milk- You can use a plant based milk.
Half and Half- I used fat free here to save some calories, feel free to use the real thing or any of the dairy free half and half alternatives in your store.
So mix this up the night before, then sit back, relax and enjoy your morning stress free! Comment below and let me know how you like this one!
Easy Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- 4 slices Cinnamon Bread I used Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup Fat Free Half and Half
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp. Sugar For Sprinkling over top just prior to cooking.
- Cut your bread into 1 inch cubes .
- Mix together the eggs, egg whites , milk , half and half and vanilla .
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray (3 quart - any shape- standard 9x9 pan would work.)
- Toss the bread cubes in then pour the egg mix over it . Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight .
- Set oven to 350. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle the 1 tbsp. Of sugar over the casserole. Put the uncovered casserole in the oven. Don’t wait for it to preheat .
- Set a timer for 1 hour . Check things at 45 minutes . If you like your French toast more custard like pull it at 45 minutes . If you like it more dry- pull it at 1 hour.
- Serve with butter , syrup - or it’s delish on its own!