I’m currently on a quest to make more summer friendly slow cooker meals. I realize we think of cooking things low and slow in winter, but summer is busy and the slow cooker is the ultimate busy person’s kitchen tool. Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls have all the flavor of your favorite fresh mex restaurant. They are perfect for busy summer nights.
Slow Cooker Chicken For Burrito Bowls
The trick with this recipe is in using the salsa. Chicken breasts can easily dry out in the slow cooker, so it’s important to provide moisture, and not to leave it in there too long. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts, they will be done in 4 hours on low.
You’ll want to check them with a fork. If they shred easily, then you’re good to go. My slow cooker can be set for a certain amount of time and then it turns to warm when the timer goes off. This is one of those recipes where I’d set the time if I’m going to be away.
Here’s my slow cooker. I really love it. It has all the functionality I need and it travels well!
This is an affiliate link. That means if you use this link to purchase I make a small commission. Price is the same as if you go to the site directly, but you help me to keep Fresh Fit Kitchen going.
Toppings for Burrito Bowls
You can serve these with all your favorite burrito components. Avocado, sour cream, pico de gallo, and rice are a few of my favorites. The chicken is also delicious inside of tacos. As you can see this is a super versatile recipe.
I really hope you make these Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls. They are sure to be a staple in your recipe rotation.
I also encourage you to check out my other Mexican style chicken recipes!
Pin for Later!
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 3 large Chicken Breasts Trimmed of skin and fat
- 15 ounces Black Beans 1 can drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Salsa Use your favorite brans. I like a nice medium chunky salsa.
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick cooking spray. Season the outside of the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin. Sprinkle it over both sides of the chicken.
- Lay the chicken in the slow cooker and add the black beans, salsa and frozen corn.
- Cook on Low for 4-5 hours. Chicken will shred very easily with a fork when it's done.