I love spice. I fully expected to embrace the spicy margarita. It did not disappoint. Since I love a margarita, but hate the heaviness of the sugary mixes that are used, I created my own Light and Spicy Margarita.
Now, if you are a margarita connoisseur look away. This is NOT traditional. This is a quick, healthy and more affordable way to make a margarita.
How to make a Skinny Margarita
You can feel free to omit the jalapeno and make this a traditional margarita. If I want a margarita at a restaurant, I’ll often just order tequila with soda water and a splash of orange juice and lime. It has the flavors of a margarita without the sugary sour mix and orange liqueur.
Sometimes I even omit the orange juice and order a tequila and soda with lime. This is known officially as a “Ranch Water.” They are quite popular in areas like Texas where there is a strong Mexican influence.
Light and Spicy Margarita-Controlling the Heat Level
The longer you allow the jalepeno to sit in the mixture, the hotter your margarita will be. I like to put a half one in the mason jar or shaker and shake it then discard it. I’ll garnish with just a small piece. If you like it spicier you can allow it to sit a few hours.
I like the heat to just hit the back of my throat. Strain the seeds out as you pour it. That can be super spicy if you get one in your straw.
Adding seltzer water to any cocktail will help combat the calories. This is why vodka sodas are a go to for me when dining out. This margarita recipe has all that yummy flavor and the light refreshing fizz of seltzer. You can enjoy a few of these and never feel sick or like you had too much.
I really hope you make this Light and Spicy Margarita. If you do, tag me in a photo on Instagram @freshfitkitchen. I love to see you enjoying my recipes.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Light and Spicy Margarita
- 1/2 cup Fresh Lime Juice Juice of about 5-6 limes
- 1/2 cup Tequila Clear Tequila Recommended
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice Store bought or freshly squeezed.
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 1 tsp. Honey
- Jalapeno and Lime Slices for garnish
- Kosher Salt for rimming the glass if desired- This is optional.
- Seltzer Water for topping off
- In a 16 ounce mason jar ( make sure you have a lid) mix together, tequila, orange juice, lime juice, honey and jalapeno. You can use the markings right on the side of the mason jar to measure your ingredients.
- Take 2 glasses and run a slice of lime around the outside. Put some kosher or margarita salt on a plate and dip the rims into the salt. This step is optional.
- Fill your glasses halfway with ice. Strain the tequila mixture into the glasses. Top it off with seltzer water, extra jalapeno and lime.