There are a lot of ways to make creamy potato soup and everyone has their opinion. If you are looking for a more pureed version stop right here and check out my Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup. However, if you love chunky potato soup with more texture, read on! This Quick and Easy Chunky Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe doesn’t require cream cheese, making a roux or any other kitchen tool other than your Instant Pot.
Tips for Quick and Easy Chunky Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
This Instant Pot soup recipe is pretty straight forward, but there are a few things you need to be aware of. The first is regarding the kind of potato you use. I like a high starch content potato so I go with russet potatoes. Starch helps to thicken the soup.
Now, you can go with red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes too. You won’t even need to peel those (peel the russets as their skins will fall apart with pressure cooking). Just know your soup may not thicken as well. All of them will work though. The kind of potatoes you use will make a difference here.
While this potato soup is chunkier, the secret to the creaminess of the base is cream of chicken soup. Now I know this can be a polarizing ingredient. If you aren’t okay with that one in the red can we all grew up with you could certainly use an organic version (which is now widely available) or you can make your own!
This soup doesn’t require heavy cream, but if you’d like to richen it up, it never hurts to stir some in. Regular 2% or while milk works fine. I’m sure someone will ask and no I don’t recommend using almond milk. It’s just going to taste strange in place of regular dairy.
I love a dump and go recipe, but don’t miss using the saute setting to start your onions, carrots and celery. This just lends flavor and good texture to your soup. The saute function of your Instant Pot is great because you don’t need to use another device like you would with a slow cooker.
Substitutions for this Recipe
I know someone will ask about using almond milk to make this dairy free, but instead I recommend taking out some whole potatoes and using an immersion blender to to blend them up to naturally thicken your soup. Plant based milks often taste weird when heated so almond milk isn’t something I recommend.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a potato masher. If you want to make this truly vegetarian, you could sub the chicken soup for cream of mushroom and chicken broth for vegetable broth. Again it will have an effect on the flavor, but it will still be delicious.
In terms of sour cream, Greek yogurt is a great replacement here.
Toppings for Potato Soup
We top our soup with everything you’d put on a loaded baked potato. Green onions, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon and a dollop of sour cream are all delicious options. Crispy onions or fresh herbs would also be great. Get creative and make yourself a potato soup bar with your favorite toppings.
How to Store Leftovers
Left overs should be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. I cannot recommend freezing this one due to the dairy. Dairy just doesn’t freeze well. This is a great soup to make ahead because it does just find being reheated from refrigeration. Like most soups, it only gets better.
Tools for this Quick and Easy Chunky Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I love my 8 quart Instant Pot. It has the capacity to feed a crowd. Please note that the links here are affiliate links. When you purchase using these links you help support Fresh Fit Kitchen. You get the same great price, but I get a small commission from the Amazon Services LLC Associates program.
What to serve with potato soup
Grilled cheese, crusty bread, or a nice side salad make a fantastic side for potato soup. This hearty soup is about pure comfort.
Leave a Star Rating and Review
I really hope this recipe is a family your whole family loves. Easy soup recipes are the perfect nod to fall and pressure cooker potato soup couldn’t be faster or easier. It takes a fraction of the time and you’ll use this easy potato soup recipe over and over. Please leave a review if you make it. It truly helps other readers and it helps support Fresh Fit Kitchen.
Pin for Later!
Quick and Easy Chunky Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 Instant Pot See Post for Link
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrot chopped
- 1 tbsp. Garlic finely chopped
- 6-7 large Russet Potatoes About 3.5 cups
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Salt plus more to salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Pepper plus more to salt to taste
- 10.5 ounces Cream of Chicken Soup Any brand- I used Campbells Healthy Request
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tsp. Chicken Bouillon I used Better than Bouillon
- 1.5 cups Milk Whole or 2%
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
Toppings of Choice
- Bacon Bits
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Chop Onion, Celery, Carrot and Garlic1 cup Onion, 1 cup Carrot, 1 tbsp. Garlic, 1 cup Celery
- Chop Potatoes into 1 inch pieces. This doesn't have to be exact, but should be uniform.6-7 large Russet Potatoes
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute function. Add in the onion, celery, carrot and garlic along with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until onion looks transparent.1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Add in potatoes, salt, pepper, soup, water, and chicken bouillon and stir. Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 minutes.1 tbsp. Salt, 1 tsp. Pepper, 10.5 ounces Cream of Chicken Soup, 4 cups Water, 1 tsp. Chicken Bouillon
- Quick Release the Instant Pot being very careful to place a towel over the valve to prevent spattering. Stir together the flour and milk. Pour it in and then add 1 cup of cheddar and stir.1.5 cups Milk, 1 tbsp. Flour, 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!