This Apple Streusel Muffins Recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert. Made with fresh apples, apple sauce, Greek Yogurt and the warmth of cinnamon and nutmeg, these will be a hit with everyone in your family. Although this recipe contains some sugar, there is also the nutrition from Greek Yogurt, apple and the addition of ground flax seeds, if you desire. I get my flax seeds at Aldi or Walmart. Both have a great price and flax packs a lot of nutrition.
I am a lover of muffins and you’ll find plenty muffin recipes on the blog. Peanut Butter Banana Oat, Gluten Free Blueberry, and Zucchini Flax and Chia Morning Muffins are just a few that you’ll find.
If you make these Apple Streusel Muffins, tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen.
PIN FOR LATER!
Apple Streusel Muffins Recipe
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Medium Apple Honeycrisp or Pink Lady is best. Grate on the large side of a box grater.
- 5.3 ounces Vanilla Greek Yogurt Any fat content will work. This is a regular single serving yogurt container size.
- 1/4 cup Oil Canola, Vegetable or Avocado
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 and 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup. Ground Flaxseeds OPTIONAL- these are for added nutrition.
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 5 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. Salted Butter Cold
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Shred a Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apple with the large size of a box grater. You do not have to peel it. Other apple varieties will work, but these are most flavorful.
- In a large bowl (if using a hand mixer) or the bowl of a stand mixer add the egg, apple, vanilla yogurt, applesauce, white sugar , brown sugar, oil, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix together until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla and mix to combine. Add in the flour 1 cup at a time until just mixed. Add in the baking soda and baking powder and do the same. Add in the ground flaxseeds (if using)
- In a small bowl. Mix together flour, cinnamon, and sugar. Cut the 2 tablespoons of butter in using a fork until it resembles course crumbs.
- Scoop the muffins into a muffin pan lined with muffin papers. You'll get 15-18 muffins. Fill about 3/4 of the way. Lightly sprinkle the streusel on top. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.