This post was updated 7/7/2017.
Zucchini. I planted one zucchini plant this year and so far four zucchini have sprouted up quickly. With the number of flowers budding on this plant, I better get creative with the zucchini recipes. These Zucchini Flax and Chia Morning Muffins are the perfect zucchini recipe. They sneak some veggies into your breakfast and they are super simple.
Since we just moved to a house with land, I decided I’d put in a garden. There was definitely a learning curve. While my zucchini seemed effortlessly healthy, my tomato plants contracted some type of worm. I don’t do well with creepy crawly things. If you want to see what a hornworm looks like, feel free to Google it. I hope you don’t find them in your garden, because they are a sure scream fest if you don’t like bugs. I’ll be enjoying tomatoes from the farmers market, since these beasts destroyed mine. If you have tips for keeping them away, please comment below! I’d be so grateful!
Baking with zucchini is so easy because the zucchini provides so much moisture. It’s hard to make a dry zucchini muffin. Since these have zucchini and banana, it’s really hard. You don’t even need eggs. In fact, I think if you used eggs, you’d find these would be spongy. The zucchini, banana, flax and chia all bind this recipe really nicely without the use of eggs or dairy. A true win, right?
Speading a little almond butter or regular butter on these takes them over the top, but truly they are good all on their own. I really hope you try these Zucchini Flax and Chia Morning Muffins. I think you’ll find that healthy can be super delicious.
Pin for later!
Zucchini Flax and Chia Morning Muffins
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup or honey if you are not vegan
- 2 Bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp. chia seed
- 2 tbsp. flax seed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted or olive oil
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Finely grate the zucchini using a box grater. Wrap the zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze to drain the excess water. Set Aside.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium size bowl.
- In another larger bowl, mash the bananas. Add the maple syrup, chia, flax, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold in the finely grated zucchini.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Spray the paper liners with coconut oil cooking spray. Scoop the batter into each muffin cup until they are about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tuesday 16th of May 2023
These have become a staple in our house, we LOVE THEM. Frequently I'll add hemp seeds and collagen for added protein and sometimes slithers of dark chocolate.
Tuesday 16th of May 2023
Katie! I am so happy you love them! Thank you for leaving a rating and review!