A common theme with carrot cake is to add crushed pineapple to the mix. The pineapple provides sweetness and moisture. The same is true when you add banana. This is carrot cake banana bread without oil. The reason is the ripe banana! You just really don’t need oil. Banana adds both sweetness and moisture.
How to make desserts without oil
Banana bread is probably the easiest dessert to make without oil because. Bananas, eggs and even the carrots lend so much moisture to the banana bread that the oil would be overdoing it. This is a great recipe if you are watching cholesterol or just need a healthy banana bread recipe.
Carrot Cake Banana Bread without oil-
Make it gluten free: Instead of all purpose use a gluten free 1:1 flour. Be sure to use one that says 1:1 . I like Bob’s Red Mill brand. This recipe will not work with Almond flour. It just won’t have enough structure.
Make it nut free: Omit the walnuts. While the walnuts are great for nutrition and texture, the recipe is still great even if you leave them out.
Sub in 1/2 whole wheat flour: If you wanted to get more whole grain in, you could sub in half the all purpose flour for whole wheat. Don’t replace all of it though. Whole wheat flour tends to soak up the moisture and you don’t want a dry banana bread.
Can you add icing ?
I really like the cinnamon and sugar on this cake. My family isn’t a big fan of iced cakes. But if you like icing, I highly recommend this cream cheese icing recipe.
Pin it for later and if you make this take a photo and tag me on Instagram @freshfitkitchen. You can also leave a comment and rating below! I really appreciate it!
I love making variations on banana bread! Check out my Vegan One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- 3 Bananas, mashed Make sure you're using ripe bananas.
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/3 cup Walnuts chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, finely grated
- 1 tsp. Sugar Sprinkled over the top before baking
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon Sprinkled over the top before baking
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the banana, eggs, sugar and milk.
- Add in the cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add in the flour 1 cup at a time. Do not over mix. Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle the 1 tsp. of sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon over top.
- Bake for 35-37 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.